- About Us
- Academic Programs
- Ethics Review Committee
1. Background to the MD (Ayu) programme The MD (AYU); 2012-2015, post graduate course is the newly organized post graduate degree programme conducted by the Division of the Post Graduate Studies of Institute of Indigenous Medicine, for those who wish to specialize in the field of Ayurveda. This is the first research and clinical oriented post graduate program in Ayurveda in Sri Lanka. The course has been designed to meet the current needs of the Ayurvedic field and its development through advance teaching and learning methods. The Research and Higher Degrees Committee (RHDC) will regulate the program with the approval of the Director, Board of Management and the senate of the University of Colombo.
2. Aim The aim of the MD (Ayu) postgraduate course shall be the orientation in specialties and to produce specialists who will be efficient teachers, clinicians, pharmaceutical experts, scholars and research workers in the respective fields of Ayurveda / Traditional Medicine.
Following shall be the specialties of study in respective disciplines in Ayurveda.
4. Entry criteria
5. Application procedure
a). The Deputy Registrar of the Institute shall, by notice through the press or the media, call for applications from suitable candidates.
b). A person seeking admission to the programme shall make an application obtained from the administration office on paying non refundable application fee to the Institute furnishing his qualifications and other information requested for undertaking the programme. Application form duly filled should be sent to the Deputy Registrar/ Institute of Indigenous Medicine under registered cover.
c). The Candidate will have to indicate three specialty fields of his choice in the application form.
d). Applications received shall be forwarded by the registrar to the Research and Higher Degrees Committee for further processing
The number of annual intake should be decided by the Research and Higher Degrees Committee (RHDC) of the Institute of Indigenous Medicine, university of Colombo.
7. Duration and medium of training
Duration: 03 years (Full time)
There will be full time course work in first year and next 2 years consist of Clinical/research work.
Medium of instruction: English
8. Registration procedure for the course
9. Selection procedure for the specialty
On being registered to the Course, the candidate will be selected for the specialty on which pursues his work by the Higher Degrees committee on following basis:
If candidate do not wish to pursue on the selected specialty, he may appeal to the Research and Higher Degrees (RHDC) committee for alteration specialty and the decision of the RHDC is the final.
10. Assessment and Examination procedure
The course of M.D (Ayurveda) will consist of the following Examinations.
The Research and Higher Degrees Committee (RHDC) shall reserve the right to determine the mode of examination from time to time. However in addition to the following listed procedure, the candidate may be asked to appear for continuous assessments and in such a case it will be counted to the results of part I and part II examinations.
First Examination (PART I)
The first examination will be held at the end of the first year. The First examination consists of two components.
Final Examination (PART II)
The final Examination will be held at the end of the 3rd year of the course.
This examination will consist of the following components.
11. Foreign candidates
Applications for the course of M.D (Ay) shall be entertained from foreign students subjected to the terms and conditions of the Institute of Indigenous Medicine, University of Colombo and University Grant Commission (UGC) Sri Lanka.
12. Award of the degree
The Successful candidates be awarded the Doctor of Medicine in Ayurveda [MD (Ayu)] with mentioning the specialty by the University of Colombo, Sri Lanka.
Additional Director (PG)
Dr.Pathirage Kamal Perera (PhD)
Course coordinator – MD (Ayu)
Institute of Indigenous Medicine
University of Colombo
TP-0094112889739- Ext. 111/112 (Office)
Web address: http://iim.cmb.ac.lk